Linksys Wireless Router - Securing Your Wireless
This guide will take you step by step to setup wireless security on a Linksys wireless router. You can also follow these same steps to find your wireless network security key.
To begin we will need to connect a computer with an Ethernet cable directly to the Linksys router. You can do this setup connected to the wireless but you will be disconnected from your wireless router at least twice during the setup without using an Ethernet cable. Note: If using Windows Vista or older it is highly recommended to use an Ethernet cable for this setup.
- First, we will need to use the computer that we have wired directly into the LAN port on the router. Once you are on this computer, please open your Internet browser (We will be using Internet Explorer for this example).
- Once you have opened your Internet browser, you will need to clear out the Address Bar across the top. Here you will need to type in http://192.168.1.1 into the Address Bar, and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- You will then be prompted for a Username and Password, here leave the Username blank and type in admin for the Password, then press Enter on the keyboard or click on OK.
- Now we will be in the Linksys management interface, from here you will want to click on Wireless across the top left.
- You should now be at the Wireless tab, if you are using a newer Linksys router you will see a page similar to the one below. If you have an older Linksys router you can skip to step 6, if not you will want to select the Manual option on this page.
- At this page you will want to change the Network Name (SSID), you can change this to whatever you like. After you have typed in the SSID name, click on Save Settings. If you are doing this setup over the wireless, you will be disconnected after clicking on Save Settings, and will need to connect to the new SSID name in your available Wireless Networks list.
- After the settings have been saved you will return to the same screen again, from here you will need to click on Wireless Security across the top center. In the Wireless Security page you will want to select your security mode. You can choose whatever you would like for your security type but we recommend choosing WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. If you selected WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode you will then need to enter in the passphrase that you are wanting to use. The passphrase must have 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters. Once you have selected everything, please click on Save Settings at the bottom.
- After you have saved your settings, the router will now broadcast a secure wireless broadcast. Any of your wireless devices will initially have to type in the passphrase which was entered into the wireless router. If you continue to have any problems, feel free to contact the Helpdesk at 1.888.565.3200