Connecting a Router to Your FTTP Connection
This guide will help you step by step setting up a router or a wireless router to your FTTP connection.
To begin you will need a router, an Ethernet cable, and the power adapter.
- First, we will need to get the router out. As pictured below you can see that we will be using a Linksys router.
- Next, you will need to check to see if there is a wall jack or an Ethernet cabling coming out of the wall or floor. If you already have a cable, please plug other end coming out of the wall or floor into the Internet port on the router, and then skip step 3. If you do not see an Ethernet cable, we will now need to take the Ethernet cable that came with the router and plug it in to the port labeled Internet, and continue with step 3.
- Now we will take the other end of the cable and plug it into the wall jack that was installed for your Internet.
- Here you will want to hook your computer up to the router so we can configure the device(You can configure the router over wireless but recommend cabling in for the initial setup process). Now we will want to take another Ethernet cable and hook one end to the LAN port on the router and the other end of the cable into the computer.
- Now that you have hooked up the all the devices, we will need to configure the router for PPPoE. We will use the Linksys router for this tutorial, if you have a different brand for your router you will need reference how to setup a PPPoE connection in your User Manual. First, we will need to use the computer that we have wired directly into the LAN port on the router. Once you are on this computer, please open your Internet browser(We are using Internet Explorer for this example).
- Once you have opened your Internet browser, you will need to clear out the Address Bar across the top. Here you will need to type in http://192.168.1.1 into the Address Bar, and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- You will then be prompted for a Username and Password, here leave the Username blank and type in admin for the Password, then press Enter on the keyboard or click on OK.
- Now we will be in the Linksys web management page, here you will want to find the Internet Connection Type drop down menu and select PPPoE, then you will want to put in your username and password. The username is going to look like username@nextech. Once you have typed in your username and password, go down to the bottom of the page and click on Save Settings.
- Once you have saved your settings, you can click on the Status tab across the top right of the page. Here you should see that you are connected and have an Internet IP Address listed.
- If you are connected, then you should be all finished and ready to surf the Internet.