Connecting a Router to Your DSL Modem
This guide will help you step by step setting up a router to your DSL modem.
- First, we will need to get your router that you are wanting to setup. Here we are using a Linksys Wireless Router.
- Now we will want to hook the router up to the Comtrend modem. First you will want to take the additional Ethernet cable and plug it in to the Internet port of the router. Once you have done this you can hookup the power adapter that came with the router.
- Next, we will take the other end of the Ethernet cable and plug it into the 1x port on the Comtrend modem. If your computer is currently plugged into port 1x, please disconnect it so we can hook it into the router next.
- Once you have connected the router to the modem, we will now hook up the computer to the router. If you have not plugged the computer into the an Ethernet cable please do so now, unless the computer is going to be wireless. If you have already hooked up the computer to an Ethernet cable, please take the other end of the cable and plug it into LAN port 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the router.
- Once you have hooked everything up you should have a similar setup to what you see below.
- Depending on how your Comtrend modem was configured, you may need to set your router up for PPPoE. If you have purchase a Linksys router and need help setting up the router for PPPoE please click here.