D-Link Wireless Router - Securing Your Wireless
This guide will take you step by step to setup wireless security on a D-Link wireless router. You can also follow these same steps to find your wireless network security key.
To begin we will need to connect a computer with an Ethernet cable directly to the D-Link router. You can do this setup connected to the wireless but you will be disconnected from your wireless router at least twice during the setup without using an Ethernet cable. Note: If using Windows Vista or older it is highly recommended to use an Ethernet cable for this setup.
- First, we will need to use the computer that we have wired
directly into the LAN port on the router. Once you are on this computer,
please open your Internet browser (We will be using Internet Explorer
for this example).
- Once you have opened your Internet browser, you will need to clear out the Address Bar across the top. Here you will need to type in http://192.168.0.1 into the Address Bar, and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- You will then be prompted for a Username and Password. Enter admin for the Username and leave the Password (blank). Then press Enter on your keyboard or OK on the screen.
- Now you will click on Wireless Settings on the left side of the screen. When the new screen loads on the right, you can rename your wireless network by changing the Network Wireless Name. Under Wireless Security Mode, select Enable WPA - Personal Wireless Security from the drop down box. Now boxes will appear below that labeled Passphrase and Confirmed Passphrase. This is where you will type what you would like your wireless password to be. Once you have entered your password, press Save Settings towards the top of the screen.
- After you have pressed Save Settings, the router will now broadcast a
secure wireless broadcast. Any of your wireless devices will initially
have to type in the passphrase which was entered into the wireless
router. If you continue to have any problems, feel free to contact the
Helpdesk at 1.888.565.3200