Windows XP - Setting Up a PPPoE Connection
Setting up a PPPoE connection in Windows XP
NOTE: Microsoft Ended Support of Windows XP on April 8th of 2014.
1. Click START, then click on Control Panel. When the Control Panel opens, under the Pick A Category heading, click on the Network and Internet Connections.
2. The next screen has two headings; Pick a task, or pick a Control Panel icon. Under or pick a Control Panel icon, click on Network Connections.
3. On the left-hand side, under the Network Tasks heading, click on Create a new connection.
4. The New Connection Wizard appears... Click on the Next button.
5. Make sure that the dot is by Connect to the Internet, and click Next.
6. Choose Set up my connection manually, and click Next.
7. Make sure it's set to Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password, then click Next. Note: Customers using a router that has the PPPoE software built in, can use the third option of "Always On".
8. When it prompts you to type the name of your ISP, type in DSL Connection, and click Next.
9. Now, it will ask for the Username, and the password. After typing those in, there are three options beneath the Confirm Password field. The first two need to be checked, but the third one Turn on Internet Connection Firewall for this connection is optional, though recommended. After choosing whether or not to use the firewall, click Next.
10. Place a check mark beside Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop, then click on Finish.
11. Windows XP is now configured to connect to the internet through DSL.